tMP Exclusive Interview with Jason Poulston - Webmaster - Brighouse & Rastrick Band

Di

tMP Exclusive Interview with Jason Poulston
Webmaster – Brighouse and Rastrick Band

By way of an introduction, could you please tell us a little about yourself

I’m Jason, 25 year old principal percussionist with B&R, Web designer for the site, Head of Music at Vermuyden School and Director of Rhythm Masters Percussion Studio in Doncaster. I live with my gorgeous finacee Lisa (who supports me with my many jobs) in Thorne near Doncaster. I have a lovely house, 2 cats (Max and Paddy) and 7 fish! I’m also very thorough!

Are you actively involved in playing a brass instrument with any band, or do you simply undertake the web design on behalf of a band?
As It says I am principal percussionist with B&R.

How long have you been involved in web design how did you first get involved in it?
I have dabbled in web design for many years but seriously took over the B&R site about 9 months ago. It was slow to get off the ground but as the site grew the band were more enthusiastic and things developed from there.

Do you manage/run any other web sites, if so, which ones?
I am building my own site to promote my many musical activites, www.jasonpoulston.co.uk and also I am working on my school website.

What applications did you use to build your site and why did you choose these?
Purely Html based, all done in note pad. I chose this as it is the most flexible.

Please can you explain for us how you prepared and planned for the development of the site when asked to implement this for Brighouse and Rastrick?
The B&R site was originally built by the son of one of the bands members and he did a great job getting the band a web presence. Unfortunately his work committments prevented him from expanding the site as he wanted to so I approached the band to help develop the site. There was no real preparation I just browsed other bands sites, saw what worked and what didn’t and made judgements.

What content do you feel should be included on a brass band www site?
As much as possible about the band, a shop, some gimmicks and some pics.

Do you use innovative ideas on your www site?
Chatroom, Games Area and other elements all make up the site, I wouldnt call them innovative as such but the more there is on the site the more likely you are to get other visitors.

Why should people visit Brighouse and Rastrick Bands www site?
Its website of the month!! :) No seriously, it our 125th Anniversary. There is so much on there with band history, and news and player info, the list is endless so log on, have a browse round and buy something! Cheers.

What do you feel is important when designing and implementing www sites…?
Its the way EVERYTHING is going these days, our local fish shop has a website!! At one time it was just the elite companies that had one, but nowadays the internet is so accessible, it’s important to have a presence!

How long did this site actually take you to build?
I dread to think! A lot of time! Lisa could probably I tell you!

How do you manage the content on your web site and do you have a publishing policy?
Content is only uploaded by myself, that way theres only me to blame if something goes wrong!

What would you recommend as the best way to start to learn about designing and building www sites?
Ask people who know, its the simplest way.

Do you have a favourite technical reference book for budding web designers?
Not really, just a close network of friends who can usually solve most problems .

What do you do to relax and unwind?
Go in my pool with Lisa and think about anything other than music, bands and websites!

Tell us something about yourself that we don't already know.
I’m a composer, arranger and concert soloist.

What are your other hobbies?
Are you Mad, I dont have time for anything else!!! :)

What do you drive?
Peugeot 407 SW